Dr Naseem obtained a PhD from University of Sydney following three years researching the management of faecal incontinence and has published and presented internationally and nationally. Her academic and research output and impact is evident in the following awards and publications:
Research Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Extraosseous Osteoblastoma of Larynx presenting with acute airway obstruction. N Mirbagheri, S. Galloway, T. Iseli & B.Lyons. J Laryngol Otol. 2008 Nov;122(11):1265-8
- Hand ischemia post radial artery cannulation - a cautionary reminder of an uncommon complication of a common procedure. N Mirbagheri & C Hoy. ANZ J Surg. 2008 Aug;78(8):719-20
- How do Nonagenarians fare with abdominal surgery? N Mirbagheri, J Dark & D Watters. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2010 Jan;58(1):104-108
- Factors Predicting Stomal Wound Closure Infection Rates. N Mirbagheri, J Dark & S Skinner. Tech Coloproctol. 2013 Apr;17(2):215-20
- Sentinel Node Micrometastases in Breast Cancer: A Survey of ANZ Breast Surgeons. C.Chong, N Mirbagheri, M. Harris & J Fox. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2013, 82(11): 766-767
- Left Paraduodenal Hernia Causing Small Bowl Obstruction. B. Poh, S Sundaramuthry & N Mirbagheri. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2014 Jul;18(7):1377-8
- Resurveying micrometastases in breast cancer - Have we now turned the corner? C Chong, N Mirbagheri, M Harris & J Fox. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2014 Jun;84(6):401-2
- Lymph node response as a prognostic indicator in irradiated rectal cancer. N Mirbagheri, S Deb, B Kumar, B Poh, J Dark, C Leoh & W Teoh. Colorectal Disease, 2014 Oct;16(10):339-46
- Systematic review of the impact of sacral neuromodulation on clinical symptoms and gastrointestinal physiology. Mirbagheri N, Sivakumaran Y, Nassar N, Gladman MA. ANZ J Surg. 2016; 86: 232-236
- Normal Values and Clinical Utility of Bedside Sonographic Assessment of Postoperative Gastric Emptying: A Prospective Cohort Study. Mirbagheri N, Dunn G, Suen M, Naganathan V, Gladman MA. Dis Colon Rectum. 2016; 59: 758-765.
- Brain responses to mechanical rectal stimuli in patients with faecal incontinence: an fMRI study. Mirbagheri N, Hatton S, Ng KS, Lagopoulos J, Gladman MA. Colorectal Dis. 2017; 19(10):917-926
- Clinical Problems in General Medicine and General Surgery, by Peter Devitt. N Mirbagheri & S Skinner. Co-authored a Chapter on Diverticular Disease, 3rd Edition published in 2010.
- C Young, M Gladman, J Laurence & N Mirbagheri Examination Surgery: A guide to passing the fellowship examination in general surgery (First Edition, 2014, Elsevier Australia)
- Sir Roy McCaughey Surgical Research Fellowship
- 3min PhD thesis competition winner
- Early Career Research Award - Concord Repatriation General Hospital
- NHMRC, Postgraduate Scholarship
- RACS, Peter King Scholarship
- Best Colorectal Paper Presentation, Peter Douglas Prize
- Australian Postgraduate Award, University of Sydney
- Marshal Prize for Best Research Presentation
- A systematic review of the impact of sacral neuromodulation on symptoms and anorectal physiological function in patients with faecal incontinence. Surgical Research Society, 50th Annual Meeting, Adelaide, Australia, Nov 2013.
- Clinical symptoms and quality of life following temporary interruption of sacral neuromodulation in patients with faecal incontinence: a randomised, double-blinded crossover study. Asia Pacific Federation of Coloproctology Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 5-7th Oct 2015.
- Impact of interrupting sacral neuromodulation on anorectal physiology in patients with faecal incontinence: a randomised, double-blinded crossover study. Asia Pacific Federation of Coloproctology Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 5-7th Oct 2015.
- Central brain responses following sacral neuromodulation in patients with faecal incontinence; an fMRI study. Surgical Research Society, 52nd Annual Meeting, Sydney, Australia, Nov 2015.
- Feasibility and clinical utility of bedside sonographic assessment of postoperative gastric emptying: a pilot study. Annual Scientific Congress 2016. 2-6 May 2016. Brisbane Australia.
- Impact of interrupting sacral neuromodulation on anorectal physiology in patients with faecal incontinence: a randomized, double-blinded crossover study. Annual Scientific Congress 2016. 2-6 May 2016. Brisbane Australia.
- Central brain responses following sacral neuromodulation in patients with faecal incontinence. Annual Scientific Congress 2016. 2-6 May 2016. Brisbane Australia.